The PhD program at the Shidler College of Business?reflects the College's philosophy that a broad and cross-functional orientation is necessary to appreciate complex business problems that extend beyond the narrow confines of a particular discipline. It?is small and individualized. It?enables students to pursue their own areas of interest. Only full-time study is allowed.
PhD students must complete all the required?courses within a specialization during the first two years in the program.
- Accounting: ACC 616, ACC 625, and 3 out of 4 accounting PhD courses, i.e., ACC 701 - 706
- Finance: FIN 701, FIN 702, FIN 703
- Information Technology Management: ITM 704, CIS 703
- Management?(Organization and Strategy): MGT 650, MGT 701, MGT 704
- Marketing: 3 out of 4 marketing PhD courses, i.e., MKT 701-704
In addition to the required course in their specialization, students are required to take?four graduate-level courses in?statistics. They also have to?enroll in BUS 705 PhD Seminar in Business Administration?for the first two years of their program.?Subsequent enrollment in the BUS 705 is recommended but not required.
Departments for the specialized areas sometimes have additional requirements. Please double check with respective?Program Representative.
- Accounting: Jian Zhou <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Finance:?Jing Ai <email@example.com>
- Information Technology Management: Bo Xiao <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Marketing:?Yanmei Zheng <email@example.com>
- Management (Organization and Strategy): John Butler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Courses that students should consider taking include:
- Graduate-level courses in research methods
- Doctoral seminars (700-level courses) offered by Shidler College of Business that are outside students'?specialty area
- Graduate-level?courses in economics and econometrics
- Graduate-level?courses in disciplines that meet students’ research interests
- Independent study with Shidler faculty?
To graduate with a PhD in Business Administration, students have to:
- Complete 44 total credits or more in a timely manner
- Depending on the area of specialization,?complete a first-year paper or pass a first-year qualifying exam
- Pass a second-year comprehensive exam
- Pass the dissertation proposal defense
- Complete the dissertation and pass the dissertation defense?